Thursday, May 17, 2012

32 Weeks - The calm before the storm...

How far along?  32 weeks (5/17/12)

Total weight gain:  Up four pounds total   
  
Size of baby:   Squash  (According to the Bump)


Milestones (What Baby Center Says:):

By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.

Maternity clothes?  I am wearing both maternity and non-maternity.  Today - I am wearing my Black maternity capris’ and my purple non-maternity shirt with the ruffles.     

Food cravings or aversions: Nothing this week.  Sweet cravings are always lurking waiting to make it self known.  No aversions...I think it is safe to say I have no aversions ever.       
  
Sleep:  Sleep has been Ok this week.  I feel like I have insomnia.  I dream of hitting my bed and sleeping.  Then when the time finally comes, I'm so wired I stay awake for an hour.  Not sure what that is about.  It might be because I have a lot on my mind.  Still sleeping with 4 pillows.  I love it.  I feel all snug as a bug with my pillows.   

Symptoms:  A good week this week ... a calm week.  I do see a pattern, with feeling refreshed in the morning, but by the end of the work day I am tired (sometimes I think I may need to pull over for a nap)!  The pain in the lower pelvis area has been ok and bearable (I hope I didn't just jinx myself).  This morning (5-17-12) I felt some pain in the pelvis...but it has past.  I hope it stays this way for the next 7 weeks.  I have a sneaking suspicion it will not.  

On Tuesday (5/15/12) I had to my first Bio Physical Profile (BPP) ultrasound at the OB office.  The ultra sound tech was the same one I cried to when I had an emergency ultrasound after the OB could not hear the heart beat back in January.  I recognized her, but she did not recognize me.  She asked if I knew the sex of the baby and I said no, so she said she wouldn't even go near the area.  The baby past all the required tests with flying colors!  Yeah.  The baby is practicing breathing!  The baby had the hiccups too.  This is amazing... the tech could see the baby's hair in the ultrasound!  How cool is that?  I know I will not have a bald baby!  So amazing.  I was smiling ear to ear.  The only thing the baby did not cooperate with is showing her/his face.  The baby was way up high and facing my back in the fetal position.  She said everything was perfect.  Thank God.  I was happy. 

After the ultrasound I went upstairs to see the OB (Dr. Coffee).  He spent 5 minutes with me.  There wasn't too much updating since I was just there on Thursday.  He did say my blood work showed I was anemic and for me to take an iron supplement.  I hate to take more pills to cause even more constipation, so he recommended I take a stool softener once or twice a day.  He was happy with the sugar numbers and said they look good, except for the night out to dinner - which was high at 175.  He told me NO pasta nights.  Dr. Coffee, he seems ok.  But I hate how he just looks at my chart as he walks in the door...that is always nerve wracking.     

My cough is getting better.  I still took the nebulizer this week, but have not had to since Tuesday.  I think I may be getting over this cough...but it likes to linger.  Unfortunately I saw that Anderson had a runny nose today.  Lets hope we are not all sick again next week. 

Tomorrow (5/18/12) we will have our first Non-Stress test at the hospital!  I still remember being so nervous when I went with Anderson!  Hopefully all will go fine.  It is the strangest thing-driving up to the hospital by yourself.  I'm so excited to have reached this point!  This is feeling so real now.   

I asked my boss if I could work from home on Fridays.  He's concerned that others may want Friday off and the department would be short staffed.  He asked if I could try to make the appointments later in the day so that I could come in to the office and leave early.  I said I would try.  At this point that seems doable, but I remember with Anderson feeling so overwhelmed that I couldn't come after all the appointments.  I think it is because I was staying late after I arrived.  I will not being doing that this time around.  I will see if I can change some of the upcoming visits and take it from there.  

Medications
I am currently taking 130 units of NPH at night time to help with the fasting numbers (with the goal of having less than 90 for fasting and less than 120 two hours after meals).  The numbers have been excellent in the morning!  For the past week the numbers have been under 90.  Shocking.  I think it is because I am drinking a glass of milk and eating a tablespoon of peanut butter before bed.  As for the evening, some days are high, but most have been ok.  I continue to take 40 units of NPH in the morning (before breakfast). 

I continue with BP medication twice a day (no change).  I have been taking my pre-natal every day and continue to take folic acid every day and on most days I take a DHA vitamin with dinner (but I tend to forget).   I have also started to take an iron supplement.  I continue to take calcium chews.  

Gender:  Not known.  No change.  Not feeling strongly either way.   
What I'm looking forward to the most:  Meeting my baby and knowing if it is a boy or girl.  Settling into a routine after the baby is born.                

Worries: Baby is getting tight in the there...hope she is ok.  I just want to get through the last couple of months in good health. 

I can't help but worry and wonder if two will be too much to handle.  Are we in over our heads?  I know it is going to be rough at first, but will we get into a routine.  Is Alex up for the challenges?  Is he working too much, making him too unavailable to his family?  Or am I just needy?  Will two be too much for my mom?  For Me? 

I do feel blessed to be pregnant as there are many people who dream of having one child and can't.  I even wished I could have a third baby...so what is my issue?  I worry.  I can't shut it off.  I wish I could.  I waste so much energy.  I am afraid of the unknown.  Some people thrive on the unknown and have more confidence in themselves.  Unfortunately I do not. 
I have never felt more joy in my entire life since the birth of Anderson.  Somehow being a mom suddenly altered ME.  Now a second pregnancy...and another significant future change.  And I do not deal well with change.  Even little changes.  Every small change in my life is always greeted with an overwhelming sense of anxiety and worry.  Fear is the constant companion of change in my life.  And I don’t know how to fight it.  One step at a time.  I pray for guidance and confidence.   

What is different this time around:  I think about how stressed I got with Anderson around this time.  Especially with all the appointments and insulin.  Since I know what to expect (relatively) I don't seem that overwhelmed YET.  We will see how that goes.  I was looking at some notes and I noticed it was around my 33rd week that leg cramps became an issue.  Lets see...

Miss Anything?  Nothing.    

Movement:   I noticed a significant decrease in the force of the kicks during the day, but still lots of movements.  At night I can still see my belly move.  I love it. 

Labor Signs: None.  Braxton Hicks (hard belly) occasionally (maybe once/twice a day).      

Best moment of the week:  Awesome ultrasound!!   Passing all the test scores and seeing the baby's hair.   Also low sugars in the morning. 

Big Brother moment of the week:  Anderson got a cute outfit to wear on the day he meets his little sister or brother.  I love it.  I wanted to get a matching one for the baby but we did not get it since it says little brother or little sister.     

SEVEN WEEKS TO GO!!  Five weeks until full term!  Exciting times.   

No comments:

Post a Comment