Monday, May 14, 2012

Week 31 (dated May 10, 2012) - Status Quo

How far along?  31 weeks

Total weight gain:  Up two pounds total   
  
Size of baby:   Pineapple in the Belly! (According to the Bump)


Milestones (What Baby Center Says:):

This week, your baby measures over 16 inches long. He weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath his skin. He's probably moving a lot, too, so you may have trouble sleeping because your baby's kicks and somersaults keep you up. Take comfort: All this moving is a sign that your baby is active and healthy.

Here is the BUMP for this week (I can relate):

Welcome to week 31. Can you believe all five of baby’s senses are fully developed? He also keeps getting smarter. That’s probably good to know, since you might actually feel a little dumb. You’re not! It’s just that many moms-to-be find themselves acting absentmindedly during the third trimester. Some say that “pregnancy brain” isn’t a proven physical ailment, but can you think of another time in your life when you’ve had more on your mind than now? We’re guessing no. That right there is enough of a reason to be so forgetful. From 31 weeks on, you’re bound to feel a lot of the same symptoms -- some may get worse, some may become bearable. And you might start to have more trouble getting around as you get heavier and feel more and more short of breath. Remember not to push yourself too much. It’s good for you and baby to get some exercise, but definitely take breaks to rest as much as you need

Maternity clothes?  I am wearing both maternity and non-maternity.  Today - I am wearing my Khaki capris’ and brown short sleeve shirt (both maternity).   

Food cravings or aversions: Nothing this week.  Sweets seem to be calmer (thank goodness).  No aversions...     
  
Sleep:  Sleep has been Ok this week.  I have been sick with bronchitis so I have had difficulty. 

Symptoms:  No major symptoms this week.  Just tired and that is mainly due to me coughing and having difficulty breathing due to a cold/cough congestion.  The pain in the lower pelvis area is more so in the late afternoon, but not bad this week.  I will take it!  I hope it stays this way for a while! 

On Tuesday (5/8/12) I had to visit my PCP because I was coughing a lot and having difficulty breathing.  I literally had to sleep sitting.  I was so exhausted.  She determined I have bronchitis and told me to use the nebulizer with asthma medication (no steroids) and take some antibiotics (AND to rest a lot). 

I met with the nutritionist on Tuesday and she was happy to see I had not gained weight.  She suggested I eat tic tacs when I get the urge for sweets!  She said no further appointments were necessary but I could schedule something in the future if needed.  

On Thursday (5/10/12) I met with the OB (Dr. Coffee).  He was ok.  Not overly personable. He looked at my chart as he entered the room.  That is troublesome.  They assess on the spot.  He asked me about my sugars and how I am feeling.  One thing I wasn't expecting was for him to say you are on insulin in the morning and at night - that's it?  Last time (with Anderson) when I doctor looked at the chart he said that is a lot of insulin which made me so nervous.  The OB also looked at my age, confirmed I was having a scheduled C-section and advised me to think of having my tubes tied if this would be my last baby.  I asked how much longer the surgery would be, and he said 5 minutes.  He said this is commonly done and an easy procedure.  Something to think about.  Not sure why, but him saying that I am turning forty and suggesting the procedure made me sad.  It is reality though.  I wanted more kids, but I feel too old and too unhealthy to have more (not to mention poor).  We heard the heartbeat and it was wonderful.  The doctor found it with no trouble and no heavy prodding (unlike the nurse last week).  Hurray. 

The OB also scheduled routine blood work (to check for anemia, the paperwork said CBC).  So after my visit with the OB I went to the lab.  I was so upset when the blood drawer asked me if I was having twins. I said, no I am just a big girl.  You would think she would have more tact.  That's so rude. 

The weekly Bio Physical Profiles are set for every Tuesday at the OB office (at 3:30) and Non Stress Tests are set for Friday at the Birthplace (at 2pm).  I will also have OB appointments every week.    I still need to schedule a meeting with my boss and request to work from home on Fridays.  I hope he agrees as this is when I got overwhelmed, exhausted and extremely emotional when pregnant with Anderson.    

Medications
I am currently taking 130 units of NPH at night time to help with the fasting numbers (with the goal of having less than 90 for fasting and less than 120 two hours after meals).  The numbers are ok.  Some days are high, and then other days are low.  I continue to take 40 units of NPH in the morning (before breakfast). 

I continue with BP medication twice a day (no change).  I have been taking my pre-natal every day and continue to take folic acid every day and on most days I take a DHA vitamin with dinner (but I tend to forget).   I continue to take calcium
chews.  

Gender:  Not known.  No change.  I'm sick of thinking about it.   
What I'm looking forward to the most:  Holding my baby and knowing all is ok with him/her.                

Worries: Getting too huge and becoming disabled.  The effects on Anderson, Alex being a good dad, me being a good mother/wife, the future...same ole stuff!  Party planning for Anderson's 2nd birthday has consumed my thoughts.   
    
What is different this time around:  Not really doing much in preparation for this baby.  I did put a list together and we do have to get some stuff done...in due time we will be scrambling with this baby...

Miss Anything?  Went out with the girls on Friday (5/11/12) and I would have enjoyed a drink.  Oh well…soon enough.  I feel like an alcoholic always missing the booze.  Go figure. 

Movement:   Lots and lots and I love it.  I love seeing my belly move!  I tried to have Anderson feel it but he wouldn't sit still long enough.  Even Daddy doesn't sit long enough (too bad).  I think it is the most amazing thing!!  I will miss this when the baby is too big to move around (which I believe is coming soon). 

Labor Signs: None.  Maybe one Braxton Hicks (hard belly) this entire week.  Nice!    

Best moment of the week:  At night time when the baby is really active.  There was one day at night where I swear my belly did a rattle and roll that was so insane.  I loved it.   

Big Brother moment of the week:  I told Anderson that the baby was coming to live with us and he replied very excitedly and said Yeahhhh.  He said the baby is coming from the sky.  So cute.   

EIGHT WEEKS TO GO.  Keep growing my fruit....

No comments:

Post a Comment