Thursday, February 9, 2012

18 Weeks of Baby #2 - Hearing the HEART BEAT!!


How far along? 18 weeks

Total weight gain: 1 pound

Size of baby:  Bell Pepper according to Baby Center.

Milestones (What the BabyCenter says:):

Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

Maternity clothes?  Not Yet. Belly seems to be fuller.

Food cravings or aversions: None.  My appetite was not the greatest this week, due to fighting a cold and nasal congestion.  

Sleep: Was pretty good this week (thanks to some help – I took some Tylenol PM).  My nose is still blocked (worse than ever – I was sure I had a sinus infection).  I am using a pillow to prop me and I am sleeping in the upright position (nearly sitting) because of my stuffy nose and cough.    

Symptoms: This week has been pretty good.  I have had some aches and pains in the belly area (and some hardening).  I get sharp pains on the lower left (and right) side of my abs (very painful) when I cough - OUCH.   I asked the doctor, nothing to worry about.  I have been fighting a cold and have been super tired, but I forced myself to rest.  (The treadmill has been dropped, but I will get back on it this week!). 

Medications: I am currently taking 55 units of NPH at night time to help with the fasting numbers.     BP medication twice a day. 

Gender: No idea yet.  This week has leaned toward a girl.  Still not sure if I want to find out.  Feb 21 is decision day.  If the ultrasound were today, I would find out.  I want to KNOW.    

What I'm looking forward to the most:  A health anatomy scan, better sugar numbers.  Holding the baby in my arms. 

Worries: Insulin and diabetes.  I would like to stabilize my sugar readings (especially in the am fasting).  The doctor made a comment on the amount of insulin I am taking and I am worried.  I feel like I am taking so much and I am not even half way there (and I just started).  I need to cut out carbs and get better about my nutrition.     

What is different this time around: I worry that this baby is not getting enough attention from me.  I love being pregnant and the baby, but this pregnancy is different than Anderson’s, because my attention is focused on so many things (especially Anderson).  Here is a blog post from someone in a similar situation…          

Miss Anything? At the Super Bowl party I could have had a nice cold beer.  I settled for Water!   

Movement:   Not yet.  
Labor Signs: Nothing.  Had a couple of “hard belly” moments.  They must be Braxton Hicks.     

Looking forward to: Feeling some baby movement!

Best moment of the week:  Hearing the heartbeat for the first time.  On Tuesday February 7, 2012 I had a follow up OB appointment and we finally heard the heartbeat on the Doppler!!  YEAH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment