Friday, February 24, 2012

20 Weeks - Half way there!!

How far along? 20 weeks

Total weight gain: 1 pound

Size of baby:   Banana according to the BabyCenter

Milestones (What the BabyCenter says:):
Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)

He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).
See what your baby looks like this week.
Maternity clothes?  Wore maternity pants for the first time.  I love them!   

Food cravings or aversions: Chocolate, sweets in general .  I feel like a spiral effect once I have a little for Valentine's day, I have to have more and more.  Ugh.   
  
Sleep:  Good this week, as long as I sleep in the upright position (propped with pillows).  I can no longer lay straight and sleep on my back.  It's weird how my belly gets in to a "cone" shape when I lay on my back - but it is not comfortable.        

Symptoms:  I feel good, not tired or overly emotional.  Still some belly hardening at night and I asked the doctor about it.  She thinks I need some type of support for my belly.  I have tried to do the treadmill as often as I can as it seems to help with overall well being (stress, constipation, sugar readings, hard belly, etc).    

Medications: I am currently taking 60 units of NPH at night time to help with the fasting numbers.  BP medication twice a day (no change).  Sugar readings have been high in the morning.   

Gender:  So tempting to find out.  I am so undecided. We had the anatomy scan this past week and Alex and I debated all week but never really resolved/decided.  I can tell that Alex doesn't really care and he says it is up to me.  I couldn't decide so I said no.  I want the surprise on the day, but knowing would be super helpful to know (for planning purposes).  If the ultrasound were today, I would find out because I regret not finding out on Tuesday.  We will have the opportunity in two weeks because the baby was hiding and they need to finish the evaluation/scan.        

What I'm looking forward to the most:  Meeting this baby.  Taking pictures of Anderson meeting baby..I'm so excited to have my "entire" family meet and come together (even though I know we will have some adjusting to do during the first few months).     

Worries: That I can be strong enough and have the resolve to eat well and tackle the diabetes.  I struggle with sugar cravings and I want to be better about it and resist.  It is hard to make the best choices all the time.        

What is different this time around:  We were shopping for furniture and making a shower list and starting to get the nursery ready.  This time we are not doing much since the babies will share a room (at least at first).           

Miss Anything? A nice frozen margarita would be great (especially since I am meeting a friend for dinner tonight).  Did I miss wine during our date night last week, YES.  Soon enough I guess.  I'm such a lush.      

Movement:   Not yet.  

Labor Signs: Nothing.  Continue to have “hard belly” moments.     

Looking forward to:  Part II of the anatomy scan and having everything turn out ok (and finding out the gender of the baby?). 

Best moment of the week Watching the baby during the ultra sound, and hearing the heartbeat at the OB's office.  

Big Brother moment of the week:  Wearing his Big Brother shirt to the Anatomy scan!  Anderson looked so cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment