Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quarterly review and being a working mom

Every quarter there is a meeting at my job with the "investment committee".  This committee includes the big wigs of the organization and is to go over the investments in the Firm's retirement plan.  The meeting is considered the Firm's "fiduciary responsibility" - to review the goings on in the investments used in our retirement plans.  I won't bore you with the details, but I did my own flash back to my very own 2010 highlights.  It's funny how every thought (even at work) always goes back to Anderson, my baby.     

Similar to the Investment Committee meeting here are "minutes" to my 2010's quarterly highlights. 

First quarter,
I felt my baby kick and grow inside me.  Worries of my health and the effect on the baby consume my thoughts.  Nursery ideas run rampant.  Registering for all the "things" we will need is overwhelming.  Anticipation is on my mind. 

Second quarter,
We have surprise baby showers, the first feelings of severe pain/uncomfortableness occur.  Lots of doctor appointments lead to the biggest appointment EVER - induction and delivery.  The day has arrived!  Baby Anderson arrives.  Discovered that loving my son at first sight is not only possible but IS my reality.   I experience overwhelming feelings of joy and happiness.   Love for this child and our new little family is overpowering.

Third Quarter,
Fall deeper and deeper in love with my little man.  Discover that I can be alone with him and survive (maybe not thrive).  Sleep, lack of sleep, little sleep and needing sleep...make my mind foggy.  The simple tasks of going for a walk, taking lots of photos and playing with Little A, vovo and daddy are life memories in the making.

Fourth Quarter,
Return to work...start of daycare (and colds), preparing for our busy season and the holidays are front in center this quarter.  New routine (away from Little A) strikes serious sadness and stress.  But time with Anderson is pure joy.  He makes me smile.  We make it work.  Love and help from family and friends are a God send.  First holidays are enjoyed with renewed enthusiasm. 

So while I should be thriving at work, I really am trying to do the best I can.  I hate to admit it but adjusting to being a working mom is a challenge I am still trying to perfect.  I wonder if I ever will (or if anyone ever does)?  Work has new meaning.  It no longer means long days to get ahead or to get more and more projects done.  Now I get my responsibilities done and I go home to my even bigger (more important) job.  Life is busy and I struggle with all the challenges at times, but I know that I will get better at being a working mom with time.  Practice makes perfect right?

No comments:

Post a Comment